Sunday, April 22, 2012

Singapore Solo Adventure Part 1

Ending my workday on a rush, I headed to the airport to catch the 930PM CebuPacific flight to Singapore. The flight went smoothly and arrived Singapore past midnight. I took a cab going to the hostel which cost me about SGD 25. I would have taken the MRT and spend SGD3 instead, but it closes at midnight.  For travelers with a shoestring budget, this is worth noting. The cost of airport transfers if arriving from red-eye flights may be more expensive.


The Hostel.
I stayed in 5Foot Way Inn conveniently located in Chinatown. I heard about it from a tweet of DJ Chico Garcia, and booked it through HostelBookers.com, (which is a bit cheaper booking it than from HostelWorld.com). I stayed in a mixed dorm for 6, which was quite cramped, good thing though the room was never fully occupied during my stay. In choosing hostels, consider the location, I always look for something convenient (near MRT stations). Also, read the reviews by other fellow travelers from Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet, and from various hostel/hotel booking sites.

5 Foot Way Inn, Chinatown, Singapore
5 Foot Way Inn has free breakfast (toast, fruits, and cereals), unlimited coffee/milo/tea etc, and WiFi access. The view from our room is pretty okay too.

View from our Dorm

Chinatown
With no planned itinerary, I left the hostel after a late breakfast and walked around Chinatown.  I visited 2 Buddhist temples, Sri Mariamman and Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. There was service going on during my visit, and it was calming.  It's like listening to a Buddhist mass.

Sri Mariamman Temple

Buddhist Tooth Relic Temple

Then,  I boarded a bus to Vivo City and walked 700 meters towards Sentosa through Sentosa boardwalk.
And walked, ate, walked, ate, and took photos along the way.

SGD5 Char Kway Teow from the Malaysian Food Court.

For Dessert: Gelato Stick from Stick House. Costs more than my lunch at SGD 6.75!

Photo Walking in Sentosa.


Photo Walking in Sentosa.

Then while waiting for the bus to Sentosa beach there was it staring right at my face- The building of iFly Singapore, with LED projections showing videos of sky diving. Aplace for indoor sky diving!  This may be the best outdoor advertising I've seen, because I almost immediately run to this bulding to sign-up.

iFly Singapore. Indoor Sky Diving

I signed up and waited for the training to start. The whole experience is about an hour and a half which includes the briefing, training, your twice attempt, and waiting for your turn. I paid about 70 SGD for the indoor sky diving experience, 25 SGD for the photo, and 4 SGD for socks and for shoe rental. It may not be the real thing, but this is a good simulation exercise before I try the real deal.


Indoor Sky Diving in Singapore. Best things are unplanned :)

Afterwards, spent more time walking and went back to freshen up to meet Lani, a friend from Cebu, for dinner in Clark Quey and after-dinner stroll in Marina Bay Sands.

Singapore by Night. Clark Quey + Marina Bay Sands


Semi-solo travel Singapore Day 1- Check!

No comments: