Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bangkok, Thailand Solo Backpacking Part 1

Date trip: April 9.


This is the last leg of my backpacking adventure.

I arrived Bangkok about 5pm, rode the airport express train, walked, transfered to the MRT, and alighted in Hua Lamphong station where my hostel, @Hua lamphong inn, is located.

I booked a solo room which costs about 650 Baht. It's ok in the sense is that it has a bed, fridge, own bathroom, and a flat screen TV. However, the room is on the 5th floor and there is no elevator. The absence of a wide open window made me feel claustrophic and I seem to be in a prison cell more than a hotel room. This cramped space made me miss home.  


Anyhow, I went down the lobby, asked the receptionist who happened to be lady-boy, how to get to Platinum mall but he/she said it's already closed and advised me to go to Silom instead (or at least that's what I heard). 


So I boarded the MRT alighted at Silom, looked for any semblance of a shopping center to no avail. I walked aimlessly, saw a Thai massage place and went in. I looked at the menu and prices, I felt weird when I saw an option of 'Massage with Cream', and felt weirder when I saw a set of index cards with photos of the therapists--all male. I asked if they have female therapists, and the guy said 'no, only male'. So I excused myself and went out.  Dafuq did I enter into! 


I rode back the MRT back to Hua Lamphong, walked along the hostel street and saw a massage place. Checked it out, and yup, female therapists! Not that shady kind of place. I had a traditional Thai massage for 200baht. My therapist is an old lady, perhaps in her 60s, but she has incredible strength. It's one the better massages I had.


After the invigorating massage, I walked back and I saw a food stall in an alley. They cook as you order. I ordered fish tom yam, and its the best fish tom yam I ever tasted.
  




After dinner, went back to the hotel to sleep.


Tomorrow, I commence Temple Run.

4 comments:

Devils Den said...

Staying in a room on a fifth floor in a hostel in Bangkok without elevator is quite challenging!;) The invigorating massage is what makes Thai travel more enjoyable. The food in Thailand tastes delicious too!;)

Backpacking Tips said...

Backpacking is considered to be the most stressful job by most people. It is also a very necessary part which needs to be properly taken care of while travelling.

backpacking tips

JK Flesh said...

Hi !Do you remember the name of the place where you've been for the thai massage around Hua Lomphong. I'm quite interested cause spending some nights there
Thanks !

Anonymous said...

Highly vigorous blog, I liked that much.
backpacking in thailand